U.K. Wide Delivery!
Tired of plain, boring, boiled rice? Try this simple recipe to make rice the proper way!
We recommend using any good quality basmati rice. As a general guide, one cup of rice is sufficient for 2 people.
All you need is:
- 1 thinly sliced onion
- 2 cups of rice (I use a small, 150ml cup to measure)
- 1 can of drained chickpeas OR equivalent amount of frozen peas
- 1 tsp of salt per cup of rice
- 2-3 tbsp of oil
- 4 cloves
- 1 tsp whole peppercorns
- 1 small stick of cinnamon (about an inch)
- 1 tsp of cumin seeds
- Measure the rice and leave it to soak in some water. Meanwhile, brown the onions in 2-3 tbsp of oil until golden brown. Use a deep pot/pan
- Add the cloves, peppercorns, cinnamon, cumin seeds and the frozen peas/chickpeas. Let it cook for a few minutes
- Drain the rice and add it to the pan
- Add fresh water (no need to boil it). When adding the water, the ratio is key. For example, if using 2 cups of rice, add 3 cups of water. If using 4 cups or rice, add 6 cups of water. Just be sure to use the same sized cup for both the water and the rice
- Add the salt and let it come to the boil on a high heat
- Once boiled, give it a good stir and turn the heat down to the lowest setting
- Place the lid on the pot and leave it to cook on a low heat for 8-10 mins. Do not life the lid as the steam will help to cook the rice perfectly
And that's it!
This recipe goes perfectly well with our Masala Sauce to make a beautiful meat/veg curry, or with our Korma Paste to make a meat/veg korma.